- Conrail is working closely with all of the first responders and officials here on the derailment this morning of a train on the bridge over Mantua Creek at Paulsboro N.J. We very much regret the impacts to the community and deeply appreciate the efforts of the first response teams and officials.
- Conrail’s first concern is public safety, and every effort will be made to ensure that this situation is resolved as safely and as quickly as possible. An investigation is under way.
- The public health authorities will determine the extent of any impacts to air, water or soil, but we have assembled experts to conduct monitoring, testing and to offer any assistance needed to those agencies. The company will be working to provide assistance to those nearby residents who sought medical care.
- The train consisted of two locomotives, 82 rail cars and a caboose, and originated at the Pavonia Yard, Camden, N.J.. The derailment occurred shortly after 7 a.m. today.
- All aspects of this incident, including the track, bridge, rail cars and locomotives, are part of the investigation. We will be working closely with federal investigators to determine the cause.
- Updated information will be provided as more details about the recovery plan are known.
Employees | Freight Service
Copyright © 2009 Consolidated Rail
Corporation. All Rights Reserved.